In order to maintain valid Pesticide Applicator Certification in the state of New Jersey, pesticide applicators must earn a minimum of 24 recertification credits by attending continuing education courses.
Commercial Pesticide Applicators must accumulate 8 Core credits and 16 category credits (per each category certified). Private Pesticide Applicators must accumulate 8 Core credits and 16 ‘PP2’ credits.
The total 24 recertification credits must be accumulated by the applicator within a five year period subsequent to passing their certification exam. The five year period begins the November 1st following passing the exam, and ends five years later on October 30th. If the full complement of recertification credits is not earned within that five year period, certification as a pesticide applicator in New Jersey expires. Certification in these cases can only be acquired by passing the required exams again.
New Jersey-certified pesticide applicators can go to the ‘DEP Data Miner – Pesticides‘ webpage and access their current license information and recertification status in the report called Commercial Certified Pesticide Applicators – Specific Information. Applicators can check to see how many recertification units they have accrued by CORE, CORE Category, or PP2; as well as make sure that their license is still current.
The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP ) evaluates all recertification courses. Course topics offered for recertification credit include: Core (private or commercial certifications), PP2 for private certification, as well as each of the 13 commercial pest control categories. Recertification credits can be earned by either attending NJDEP-approved recertification courses, or by completing an NJDEP-approved online training module.
To find recertification courses open to the public, applicators can access reports online at ‘DEP Data Miner Pesticides’ webpage. Applicators can select from three types of reports listed below:
- Recertification Course by Specific Date: You can search for a recertification course on a specific course date.
- Recertification Course by Course Number: You can search for specific recertification courses using the NJDEP course number.
- Recertification Courses Available: You can search upcoming pesticide applicator recertification courses within a date range by subject area. [i.e., CORE, Category, or Private (called ‘PP2’)] within a date range that you specify.
Rutgers Cooperative Extension Outreach for Licensed Applicators
As the land-grant university for the state of New Jersey, Rutgers University’s New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station Cooperative Extension (RCE) provides cutting-edge programs and conferences, with sessions eligible for recertification credit. Rutgers is tapped for the expertise of its’ Cooperative Extension Specialists, County Agents/Program Coordinators, and Pesticide Safety Education Program (PSEP). Additonally, RCE experts are invited to speak at events sponsored for key stakeholder groups; providing the perspective, expertise, and science-based information unique to Rutgers as New Jersey’s land-grant institution. Annual programming offered for recertification credit includes:
- Rutgers Turf Program Landscape Turf Field Day. August 3, 2016. Hort Farm II. New Brunswick.
- Rutgers Turf Program Golf & Fine Turf Field Day. August 3, 2016. Adelphia Research Farm. Freehold.
- Kube-Pak Garden Plants Fall Open House. September 27, 2016. Allentown.
- The New Jersey Nursery & Landscape Association’s 2016 Landscape Conference Registration Form. November 9, 2016. Rutgers EcoComplex. Bordentown.
- The New Jersey Turfgrass Association’s NJTA Green Expo Dec 6-8 2016. 2017. Borgata, Atlantic City. Executive Director, CeCe Peabody, NJTA.
- Rutgers North Jersey Ornamental Horticulture Symposium Turf Day. NJOHS-2017. January 9, 2017. Morris County College. Randolph.
- Rutgers Noth Jersey Ornamnetal Horticulture Symposium Tree Day. NJOHS-2017. January 10, 2017. Morris County College. Randolph.
- Rutgers North Jersey Ornamental Horticulture Symposium Landscape Day. NJOHS-2017. January 11, 2017. Morris County College. Randolph.
- Atlantic Coast Agricultural Convention & Trade Show. February 7-9, 2017. Vegetable Growers Association of New Jersey & Rutgers Cooperative Extension. Harrah’s. Atlantic City.
- Rutgers Blueberry Open House Speaker Program 2017. February 21, 2017. Frog Rock. Hammonton.
- Rutgers North_Jersey_Commercial_Vegetable_Growers_Meeting_2017. February 23, 2017. RCE Hunterdon County. Flemington.
- Rutgers Central Jersey Vegetable Growers Meeting. February 24, 2017. RCE Monmouth. Freehold.
- The New Jersey Nursery & Landscape Association’s NJ Plants Expo. February 28, 2017. Lori Jensen, Executive Director, NJNLA.
- Rutgers North Jersey Tree Fruit Growers Meeting. March 1, 2017. RCE Hunterdon County. Flemington. Contact: Pete Nitzsche (RCE Morris) 973-285-8307 x2
- Rutgers South Jersey Tree Fruit Growers Meeting & Survey.
- Rutgers Commodity “Twilight Meetings”, including Winegrape, Tree Fruit, & Vegetable meetings
- Tree Fruit Growers Twilight. March 16, 2017. RCE Gloucester. Clayton, NJ. Contact: Hemant Gohil. email@example.com.
- South Jersey Tree Fruit Growers Twilight Meeting. April 11, 2017. Larchmont Farms. Contact: Hemant Gohil. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vegetable Integrated Crop Management Twilight Meeting. April 25, 2017. Vineland. Rick VanVranken (RCE Atlantic) email@example.com.
- Rutgers Tree Fruit Grower’s Twilight. Tuesday May 2, 2017. Hill Creek Farms. Contact Hemant Gohil. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Winegrape Grower’s Twilight. May 24, 2017. Location: TBD. Contact: Hemant Gohil. email@example.com.
- The New Jersey Pest Management Association’s 70th Annual Clinic, Trade Show & Clambake. August 17, 2017. Len Douglen, Executive Director, NJPMA. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rutgers NJAES Office of Continuing Professional Education offers a selection of landscape pest control and pesticide courses offering recertification credit, typically scheduled in the fall through early spring.
Please contact your local county Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station (NJAES) Cooperative Extension, or Rutgers PSEP (848-932-9802) to inquire further about Rutgers pesticide applicator outreach in New Jersey.
Online Recertification Courses Available:
New Jersey Pesticide Control Regulations allow pesticide applicators to earn recertification credits by completing online courses that are approved by the NJDEP. Current NJDEP policy limits the accrual of recertification credits through online courses. Within an applicator’s 5-year recertification period, licensed applicator may accrue online credits up to: 2 Core units; and 4 units in each Category that they are certified. NJDEP-accepted and approved online recertification courses are:
Rutgers Cooperative Extension currently offers two approved online CORE recertification courses in Pesticide Use & Storage. There are two options to select on the home page; select I am a commercial applicator and would like to receive credits. After you enter your license number, both modules will post for you to select your choice. More modules will be added at the course website as they are developed.
All Star Professional Training – Contact: 817-385-1136; or see www.allstarce.com
- 7A (General & Household)
- 7B (Termite)
- 7C (Fumigation) and
- 7E (Wood Preserving)
- 8B (Mosquito Control)
- Ants (Imported Fire Ants): 4 units in 1A (Agricultural Plant); 3A (Ornamentals); 3B (Turf); PP2 (Private Part 2)
- Turfgrass Culture: 2 units in 1A (Agricultural Plant);3B (Turf); 6B (Right of Way)
- Insects of Turfgrass: 4 units – 1A (Agricultural Plant); 3B (Turf); 6B (Right of Way)
- Spiders: 4 units in 3C (Interior Plantscape); 7A(General & Household); 8A (General Public Health); 8C (Campground)
- Weed ID and Herbicides: 2 units in 3A (Ornamental); 3B (Turf)
- Using Insecticides in the House: 2 units in 7A (General & Household)
- Turfgrass Diseases: 4 units in 1A (Agricultural Plant); 3B (Turf)
- Soil, Nutrients and IPM: 2 units in 1A (Agricultural Plant);3A (Ornamentals); 3B (Turf)
- A Respirator: 2 units in Core
- Pesticides and the Environment: 2 units in Core
- Pesticide Safety: 2 units in Core
- Non-Biological Turf Problems: 2 units in 1A (Agricultural Plant), 3B (Turf)
- Managing Household Pests: 2 units in 7A (General & Household)
- Insecticides: 2 units in 7A (General & Household)
- Mosquitoes: 4 units in 8B (Mosquitoes)
- Insects: 2 units in 7A (General & Household)
- Turfgrass Species: 4 units in 1A (Agricultural Plant); 3B (Turf)
Environmental Management Training Services –
Online Classes . Ayanna Martin – 215-796-5318
EMTS offers online classes on a monthly basis. Call for schedule.
Farm Press – Penton Media.Contact: Cheryl Ogle – 559-326-7405
- Using Calcium as Nutrient that Protects Against Disease Organisms: 4 units in 3A (Ornamentals); 4 units PP2
- Status of Herbicide Resistance in Weeds: 2 units in CORE; 4 units in 3B
- Biopesticides – Effective Use in Pest Management Programs: 4 units in 1A (Agricultural Plant); 4 units PP2
- The ABCs of MRLs (Maximum Residue Levels): Growing Issue for Ag Exports: 2 units in Core
- Managing Spray Drift to Minimize Problems: 2 units in Core
- Lepidopterous Pest Management: 1 unit in CORE, 3 units in PP2, 1A
- Weed Management in Orchards and Vineyards: 4 units in 1A, PP2
- Utilizing Potassium Nitrate as a Specialty Nutritional Product that Protects against Disease Organisms and Plant Stresses: 4 units in 1A, 4 units in PP2
Pested.com – Contact: Kevin Hurley; email; 845-657-6483.
- Core: Toxicity of Pesticides- 1 unit
- Core: Ecological Concerns – 1 unit
- PP2- 4 units
- 3A (Landscaping Ornamental Pest Control)- 4 units
- 3B (Landscaping: Turf Pest Control) – 4 units
- 3C (Interior Plantscaping) – 4 units
- 5 Aquatic Pest Control- 4 units
- 6B (Right of Way) – 4 units
- 7A (General & Household) – 4 units
- 7B (Termite) – 4 units
- 8D (Cooling Tower Pest Control) – 4 units
Sterile Processing University
Contact: 908-735-8944. www.spdceus.com.
- Safe Use of ETO Pesticides: 4 units in Core
- Ethylene Oxide Sterilization: 8 units in 12B (Ethylene Oxide)
Source: NJDEP. www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/pcp/bpo-recert.htm; date accessed 1/21/2017.